By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: April 13, 2017
Dear Red Hot Mamas Experts,
Acne was not only problem as a teenager, now it’s even a bigger problem at menopause. Help!
Can you offer some suggestions?
Thank you for writing to our experts.
Over 25% of women in their 40’s, and 15% of women older than fifty battle adult acne. Adult acne can be caused by hormone fluctuations, stress and may be heredity.
Here are some suggestions to help with the problem:
- Unclog your pores to prevent pimples and clear out blackheads. Use a salicylic acid-based cleanser twice a day in the morning and evening. This will help scour your pores and reduce pimples from forming.
- Kill bacteria and reduce excess oil. Look for products with benzoyl peroxide which can help with excess oil.
- Increase cell turnover with a prescription product such as tretinoin.
- Use a non-oily makeup, sunscreen or moisturizer.
- Always remove makeup before going to bed.
- Keep your hair off your face and avoid resting your hands on your face.
- Don’t manhandle those pimples. Talk to your dermatologist about effective ways in handling pimples.
Thank you for writing to us.