By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: March 9, 2017
Dear Red Hot Mamas,
Ah, finally March is here which is the entry way to Spring and the promise of seeing more sunlight, flowers and warm weather. When Spring arrives, it makes many of us feel happier, almost as much as finding a $20 bill in our pocket.
And, then there is one observance that a lot of folks don’t even know about because it isn’t highly publicized. Did you know that March has been designated as “National Optimism Month”?
I’ve always considered myself to be an optimist. I’ve always believed that all situations will work out and I don’t dwell on negativity. No, it hasn’t always been easy for me in life, and I must admit there wasn’t always a smile on my face, nor have I always had a perky attitude, but I’ve always tried to think positively.
No matter what struggles life walloped me with, I’ve had to reframe my frustrations, problem solve those life struggles, and move forward. I’ve never let the situation defeat me.
So, what is optimism anyway? And, what does it mean to you? To me, optimism collides with happiness, humor, healthy living and it gives me a real reason for living.
Here are “10” benefits from having an optimistic and positive outlook:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- It promotes happiness
- It allows you to develop the habit of being thankful
- It creates positive expectations
- It promotes forgiveness
- It gives you peace of mind
In closing, start seeing the glass as half full rather than half empty. Being optimistic is a good choice to make. Certainly life has its ups and downs just like a roller coaster, so try to focus on the positive side to get through that roller coaster ride.
Cultivate your optimism by:
- Focusing on solutions, not on problems
- View life as a journey and don’t fear change, welcome it
- Stop to smell the roses and enjoy simple pleasures in life
- Make a gratitude list and let yourself feel the joy in all that you are thankful for
- Believe in your dreams
I hope this month you will gain a sunnier perspective and an improved sense of happiness. Stay active as the weather becomes nicer, get outdoors, take a long walk, and put some pep back in your step which also will help stimulate positivity. So, look on the bright side, and you are sure to lead a brighter life. Have a great month!
Good Health to You All,