By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: December 4, 2015
Red Hot Mamas and HerDesire.net are both dedicated to the education of women on important health issues present during menopause.
HerDesire.net is a Continuing Medical Education-certified initiative committed to alleviating symptoms of Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) through education about screening, diagnosis, treatment and long-term management.
Sexual health is an integral component of women’s psychological and overall physical health. Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder, defined by “the absence or deficiency of sexual interest and/or desire, leading to significant distress and interpersonal difficulties,” significantly and negatively impacts women’s relationships and sense of well-being. With as many as 31% of women reporting difficulties associated with sexual desire, this prevalent condition, remains poorly understood, underdiagnosed and undertreated. HSDD should be treated as a significant medical issue rather than a social inconvenience.
The Educational Objectives of HerDesire.net are to:
- Define and differentiate between Female Sexual Dysfunction (FSD) and HSDD through careful use of screening questionnaires, assessment, and physical examination, to ensure proper diagnosis and successful non-medical and medical treatment outcomes
- Recognize the level of distress HSDD and sexual dysfunction have on each patient’s overall health and well-being
- Encourage each woman to engage in discussions of sexual health with her doctor, to determine “normal” sexual function and dysfunction for her
- Select appropriate treatment based on available FDA-approved treatment options, patient’s treatment goals, and the degree to which the patient wants sexual function restored
- Evaluate and proactively manage Adverse Effects (AEs) of HSDD medications and modalities to allay patient concerns about side effects and ensure therapeutic persistence