By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: September 17, 2013
- Remove the mystery out of menopause. Learn the facts. Know what to expect when it arrives and learn ways to manage the symptoms.
- Think positively. There’s no need to worry about annoying periods or contraception anymore. Remember, most symptoms like hot flashes are temporary.
- Take time for the things you enjoy. That’s the key to finding postmenopausal zest!
- Turn to other women for support. Attend a Red Hot Mamas program or log onto the Red Hot Mamas community bulletin board.
- Manage your stress levels. Stress brings on more hot flashes, insomnia and depression. Try to identify your stressors and develop ways to minimize them.
- Learn to laugh. There’s no prescription required! Laughter boosts our serotonin levels and reduces stress hormone cortisol. A good laugh reduces our risk of many health problems
- Chill out and beat the heat. Watch for triggers like spicy foods, caffeine and alcohol. Also watch your weight.
- Fit in fitness and get moving. Walk your way to better health. Make it part of your lifestyle everyday.
- Talk about ways to combat your symptoms with your doctor. Learn the risks and benefits of each treatment (prescription or not).
- Banish your middle-aged spread. Eat well. Avoid junk food, enjoy quality food. Lots of fruits, veggies, protein, fiber, dairy, good carbohydrates and balance your plate size. One third of your plate should be carbohydrates, 1/3 fruits and veggies, 1/6 protein and don’t forget calcium and vitamin D.