Ask the Experts

By: Red Hot Mamas

Published: October 18, 2013

altdr minkin ask the experts red hot mamas
Dr Verna McKenzieDr Marina Johnson, Red Hot Mamas Advisor

Our experts Dr. Mache Seibel, Karen Giblin, Dr. Michael Goodman, Dr. Mary Jane Minkin, Dr. Verna Brooks McKenzie and Dr. Marina Johnson field questions from our members. Submit your question.

Dear Red Hot Mamas Experts,

I live in a rural part of my state. How can I find a doctor who I can trust to know about the most up to date information on hormone therapy?

Thank you,


Dear C,

Although gynecologists are the health care provider that most women see for menopause, some women receive excellent care from nurse practitioners, physician assistants and general medicine MDs. However, these other healthcare providers do not perform surgery should you need it. If you choose one of these alternatives, make sure they are women’s health specialists.

Another way to find a doctor is to check the list of certified menopause practitioners at the North American Menopause Society (NAMS). The doctors on their referral list have passed a menopause practitioner’s competency exam. The credential is valid for three years. The doctor is required to retake a new exam or submit continuing medical education credits that demonstrate ongoing education in the field. So, you know they must be up-to-date on everything.

Also, check out our article on Choosing the Right Doctor at Menopause for more tips and information.

Good Health to You!

Red Hot Mamas Experts