Ask the Experts

By: Red Hot Mamas

Published: March 23, 2011


Our experts Karen Giblin and Dr. Mache Seibel field questions from our members. Submit your question.

Dear Karen & Dr. Seibel,

Is there a doctor in my area that focuses on those of us past fertility, but dealing with the after effects of being fertile (ha, ha)? I would love tos ee someone in a more personal practice, rather than the assembly line experience.

Thank you,


Dear J,

I always encourage women to become active participants in their healthcare, and the first step is to choose a clinician whose style is compatible with your needs. It’s sometimes difficult for women to understand that to find the right clinician, you may have to comparison shop, just like you do when you are making a purchase, for a home, a car or anything else. Sometimes, other women can be of great help in making recommendations. In addition, you may want to get a recommendation from a nurse or another doctor. I wrote an article about choosing the right doctor at menopause that may help.

Your active and informed participation, knowledge and positive attitude can make a difference in your menopause experience and outcome.

If you find your GYN isn’t meeting your needs, please try to find a certified menopause clinician in your area. Your clinician should be able to assess your symptoms, whether they are hormone related, or caused by other factors. I’m certain they will give you a thorough physical examination as well. Be sure to bring a list of your questions. Hope this helps and thank you for using us as a menopause resource. Wish you good health and keep in touch with us. We care.

Good Health to You!

Karen and Dr. Seibel