By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: July 12, 2016
Contributed by Mary Toscono- Guest Contributor
The female gender can easily argue that we have it tough when it comes to our bodies and physical as well as mental health. As adolescents we have to learn to manage the once a month visit from our bodily functions that often create unjust hassles in our daily activities. Then we have the added stress of juggling different roles through our lives, being daughters, students, wives, mothers, employees, or even employers. Finally, comes the mother ship of all problems – MENOPAUSE!
What if there was a stone that can kill more than one bird? If there was such a stone, you would definitely want to get your hands on it. Wouldn’t you? Well, wishes can and do come true. There is something uniquely beneficial to us that tackle multiple issues at the same time. Wondering what it is? The answer is – PROBIOTICS.
Some issues that probiotics help women deal with are:
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Weight Imbalance
- Vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC) – Caused by Candida albicans.
- Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) – Caused by depletion of Lactobacilli.
- Vulvoaginal atrophy
Let’s see how probiotics can help during menopause, and help keep women from being dreadful. Scientifically, there is a decrease in estrogen level during menopause. This reduces the population of Lactobacillus sp., subsequently causing infections by other bacteria leading to Urinary Tract Infections. A regular intake of probiotics at this time provides protection from pathogens and also prevents those horrible mood swings.
Some of the established benefits of probiotics during menopause are:
- Relieve the chances of UTIs- Since after menopause, due to decrease in estrogens, the Lactobacilli decrease, it increases chances of other pathogens to colonize and thus cause infection. Regular intake of probiotics, prevent this.
- Reduce weight imbalance- There is a high chance of abnormal increase of weight, due to slower metabolism during menopause. Probiotics provide proper fat metabolism, thus preventing these weight fluctuations.
- Reduce mood swings and sleep disturbances- The mechanism by which probiotics reduce these mood swings is still under consideration, but a study showed, that women with regular intake of probiotics have lower mood swings and sleep deprivation.
- Prevent osteoporosis- Bacteria present in the gut absorb essential minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium, thus overcoming postmenopausal demineralisation.
- Prevent cancer- Reduce the risk of cancer, as there are high amounts of antioxidants and flavonoids in probiotics. This can help in maintaining breast health and help reduce the ageing process as well.
- Reduce oestrogen dominance- With oestrogen dominance, PMS; ovarian cysts, migraines and hot flashes are some of the consequences. The gut flora, help reduce these, by absorbing any unbound oestrogens.
- Immunity- They inhibit growth of pathogenic bacteria, which can help boost immunity and also enhance daily lifestyle.
Probiotics are great for women of all ages and help us in so many different ways, it would be foolish and our loss if we don’t start incorporating them in our daily diets. We should at least give them a good thought and consideration. There are lots of studies published on the benefits of probiotics for women, do your research and learn why you shouldn’t miss out on these little miraculous bacteria!
Mary Toscano is a dedicated wife, a busy mom of two toddlers, an animal shelter volunteer, a health freak runner, and a passionate health and wellness blogger at Probiotic Hub. All of these are her many jobs besides her day job. She aspires to having her own YouTube channel one day about probiotics for women. Her goal in life is to inspire and encourage people to take care of their bodies and health.