Ask the Experts- August 2015

By: Red Hot Mamas

Published: August 14, 2015

Dear Red Hot Mamas Experts,
I’ve recently been told by my doctor that  I have vulvodynia.  Can you please tell me the symptoms and ways in which I can help myself.
Thank you.
Dear Claire,
Many women are embarrassed to see their doctors when pain and itching occurs.  It’s good that you have visited your doctor about this concern, which by the way, affects quite a few women.  The disorder means pain in the vulva and it can cause severe discomfort.  Your doctor should have discussed the appropriate treatment option for you which may have included a prescribed medication.
Since you requested information as to how you can help yourself, here are some ways:
Avoid nylon panties; avoid hot baths; avoid taking antihistamines; use a vaginal lubricant before having intercourse.  Your doctor may also recommend biofeedback, which may help to relax pelvic muscles which may help to reduce pain.  But, please see your doctor right away,  if your pain is not alleviated, and if you have burning, soreness and rawness in you genital area.
Hope this is of help to you. And, thank you for logging onto our website for advice.
RHM’s Experts