By: Red Hot Mamas
Published: July 10, 2023
“The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them.”
-George Bernard Shaw
Dear Red Hot Mamas,
Red Hot Mamas indeed, our body temperature is up – we’re HOT, especially in the summer months heat. Our emotions may be running high – we’re HOT! Our estrogen levels have fallen, and we are all wondering what to do.
Menopause is a major life transition, and it sometimes causes our stress levels to go up. Our minds seem to go on overtime and our emotional mood swings may resemble a roller coaster with more dips than climbs. While all of this is happening, we may also be experiencing having extra responsibilities with our grown children, our parents who have gotten older, increased responsibilities in our jobs, and what happens we start doubting our ability to accomplish it all. And, you wonder, how do you manage to ever feel good about yourself.
What do you do? There is hope…
Many of you know what to do, others may not. Exercise will help and it does indeed lower stress levels. Eating the right foods, getting enough sleep, and taking time out to give yourself what you need. It might be getting a massage, taking time out to read a good book, or even retail therapy (a few hours shopping), may make you feel better. Whatever makes you feel better is what you need to be doing. And, of course, always securing the guidance of a competent healthcare professional who can help you with your menopausal needs.
There are some women who have found that becoming challenged in new ways has become helpful. They may return to school or do other things to launch themselves into another productive phase. This perspective opens a new world of possibilities and opens new doors.
So, at menopause, I encourage you to not get overwhelmed with all that is going on in your life. And I hope that you do not abandon your true self and let obstacles get in your way. Please look at what you love to do, what’s your passion is, your purpose and focus on reclaiming your true self, especially if you feel it has been dormant for some time. Most importantly, appreciate the person who you are now.
Where do you start?
- Formulate a strategy, a plan of action, concentrate on what you can change and that will move you forward.
- Set up a step-by-step process that will enable you to achieve your goals and desires, even your dreams that may have been shelved along the way.
- Take baby steps, ones that you can accomplish. If 60 minutes of aerobic exercise 3-4 times per week is your goal, start with walking, then fast walking, then maybe you can move into aerobic exercise. You will gain momentum along the way, and you will feel more optimistic.
- Make the choice to change your life, you can do it.
- Commit to your goals, to who you are, what you say and what you are going to accomplish.
- Allow into your life what you have set out that you want. Choose what you have NOW and stay positive and optimistic. You will then attract the very things into your life that will bring you the most fulfillment.
In closing, we all need to find a way to integrate our passion into our existing lives and/or create a structure for fulfillment to live our dreams and to learn to juggle everything else in our life including menopause.
Good Health to You All,